Saturday, January 19, 2013

"Local Adventures" - Notting Hill

This past Wednesday, I went to the BUNAC (my Visa sponsor) offices in Notting Hill for an intern orientation. Since I do not live close to Notting Hill, I decided to make a little adventure out of this errand. I gave myself plenty of time to walk around and snap a few pictures here and there. Unfortunately the meeting was at 6:00pm, so it was already dark by the time I stepped out of the tube (it starts getting dark around here at like 4:30!!). I made a mental note to come back during the daytime because it was such a quaint and beautiful area. Now when I think of Notting Hill, the movie with Hugh Grant comes into mind. I was kinda hoping to come across the blue door from the movie, but that never happened. Instead, I saw a lot of antique stores and small shops selling all types of art. Like most parts of the city, there is a mixture of old and new. You could be walking alongside a row of townhouses that look a few hundred years old, and then come across a giant, modern fashion store with huge t.v. screens flashing advertisements at you. Anyway, here are a few shots from the small section of Notting Hill that I got to see.



 ^^This little pub with all of the greenery on it happens to be a very famous and historic (built 1750s!) pub here in London. Apparently, Churchill's grandparents came to this place often. So after WWII, the pub was renamed Churchill Arms.^^
^^My first encounter with the poppy wreaths.^^

^^This is an entrance to St. Mary Abbots Church.^^

^^I have seen so many of these flower stands on the streets of London. I just can't imagine all of the flowers there will be when springtime hits the city.^^

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks so beautiful! I really hope I get to go to Europe one day :-)

xoxo

Samantha Shepherd said...

Looks glorious. :)

Hopeful Wandering said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hopeful Wandering said...

i have some friends who live in Notting Hill...they love it, post pictures of it all the time :) Awesome blog girly!!!

Emily @ http://hopefulwandering.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wonderful web site. Plenty of helpful info here. I'm sending it to a few buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you on your sweat!

Also visit my site - windows xp registry cleaner

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs